123 Main Street • Hometown, PA • (555) 555-1234 • firstname.lastname@example.org
EDUCATIONAL ADMINISTRATOR & EXECUTIVE LEADER – 15+ YEARS’ EXPERIENCE
Dynamic professional with extensive background as superintendent in one of largest communities within Southwestern MN region. Commitment to academic achievement with Doctorate in Educational Leadership. Demonstrates exceptional commitment to the centrality of teaching and scholarship in the educational process. Experience providing leadership within educational setting within collective bargaining model by working with variety of teachers and faculty. Results-driven leader with overall successfully track record of increasingly responsible administrative experience in academic affairs with evidence of student-centered philosophy, commitment to faculty development, and student growth.
- Demonstrates leadership of community and regional initiatives including board leadership, community volunteerism, and innovation within school administration
- Provides in-depth understanding of fundraising process having led and supported numerous campaigns and grant opportunities to secure significant funding
- Board governance experience from providing ongoing support, development, and engagement with public Board of Education
- Effective communicator relaying in-depth information in easily understood information within informal and formal settings
- Exceptional financial management skills with keen ability to manage costs and identify opportunities for ethical stewardship
- Commitment to affirmative action, equal opportunity environments, and cultural diversity
- Faculty & Staff Development
University of St. Thomas, Minneapolis, MN
EDUCATIONAL DOCTORATE – EDUCATIONAL LEADERSHIP
Dissertation: “Leadership Practices of School Superintendents in Four National Malcolm Baldrige Quality Award Recipient Districts”
University of Sioux Falls, Sioux Falls, SD
EDUCATIONAL SPECIALIST – EDUCATION LEADERSHIP
University of Montana, Missoula, MT
MASTER OF EDUCATION – EDUCATIONAL LEADERSHIP
Dakota State University, Madison, SD
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE – ELEMENTARY EDUCATION
2014 - Present
Brainerd Public Schools, Brainerd, MN
Serves as Superintendent for 31st largest Minnesota school district developing continuous improvement processes to measure, monitor, and communicate ongoing improvements associated with strategic plan performance targets. Collaborates with community and board members cultivating vision for school district and ensuring necessary resources, structures, and support are provided for the district. Maintains oversight of district leadership team and cabinet while developing shared services plan to implement service operations.
- Supervises 31st largest Minnesota school district with $90M+ annual budget, 859 staff members, and 6,500+ students
- Initiated comprehensive constituent-driven entry plan focused on organizational improvement; implemented
- Enhanced paperless school board meetings improving board meeting transparency; improved overall efficiency and communication to constituents
- Received National Blue Ribbon School status in all 6 district elementary schools
2004 - 2014
Marshall Public Schools, Marshall, MN
Provided strategic leadership as Superintendent creating processes and organizational structures to achieve district’s objectives and meet the needs of its constituents. During 10-year tenure, constructed shared facilities, fostered workforce development collaboration, and implemented continuous quality improvement through entire school district.
Strategic Planning – Facilitated development of formal 5-year constituent-driven strategic plan aligning organizational goals and key measurements to vision and mission of district. Implemented district scorecard process to measure, monitor, and transparently communicate ongoing improvement associated with strategic plan performance targets. Through the process raised student achievement results, increased constituent satisfaction to 95%, and implemented enhanced technology investments including a 1:1 computing initiative.
Grant Funding – Collaborated with teacher associates becoming 1 of 44 Minnesota school districts to implement alternative teacher compensation system: Quality Compensation (Q-COMP); generated approximately $576K annual perpetual grant funding for district from the State.
Financial Management – Implemented ongoing 5-year financial planning model to monitor and project continual fiscal district health. Coordinated with 6 neighboring school districts developing local collaborative to address minority student needs; resulted in access to approximately $317K in new State funding.
Board Relations – Worked with Board of Education to develop governance model based on Doug Eadie’s work for High Impact School Boards, including appropriate standing committee structures to improve governance effectiveness as well as maintain governance role clarification and governance oversight.
Community Relations – Developed comprehensive communications plan promoting district within community while utilizing regularly schedules radio appearances, bi-monthly 30-minute cable access show, monthly internal newsletter, and periodic news articles on school events. As a result, the district achieved an all-time-best in constituent satisfaction exceeding 95% satisfaction with the district.
Executive Management – Negotiated a performance based alternative compensation contract with school administrators linking and aligning compensation to school improvement initiatives. Developed administrative evaluation instrument based on Interstate School Leaders Licensure Consortium (ISLLC) Standards.
Innovation – Collaborated with 24 school districts across Southwest MN to obtain permission from Minnesota Department of Education for alternative school calendar with coordinated staff development days to improve student achievement and support teacher quality. Redesigned alternative education program delivery to focus on workforce needs and career pathway student opportunities through the new Marshall Area Technical and Educational Center (MATEC).
ADDITIONAL KEY ACHIEVEMENTS:
- Collaborated with team of community leaders to pass two operating referenda (local property tax) questions to maintain current programs and expand curriculum opportunities
- Implemented career and college readiness programming with University of Minnesota – Ramp up to Readiness
- Expanded early childhood programming through expanded and renovated child-care facility
- Worked with local university officials increasing “College in the Schools” programs and college-level offerings for students in Marshall High School
- Provided leadership for state-wide discussion on 21st Century Skills initiatives aligned to the Partnership for 21st Century Skills
- Implemented after-school and extended school year programs by creating partnerships with service organizations and the City to meet the academic and social needs of minority and academically at-risk students
- Incorporated Sheltered Instruction Observation Protocol (SIOP) in schools to increase achievement and close gaps between English Learners and other student sub-groups (increased English Learners mathematics by 11.5 points and reading by 5.2 points to close achievement gaps in reading and mathematics)
2002 - 2004
West Hancock Community Schools, Britt, IA
Served as Superintendent facilitating long-range planning to develop ongoing organizational goals aligned with the district’s mission. Managed change while developing affirming school culture to meet needs of diverse learners by increasing number of students served in least restrictive environment of general education classroom.
- Obtained $573K construction grant and $50K fire/life safety grant by actively pursuing alternatives to improve district finances and infrastructure
- Served on county-wide Executive Committee leading passage of 1% county-wide local sales tax for facility improvements to offset bond indebtedness rate
1999 - 2002
Deubrook Area Schools, White, Toronto, & Astoria, SD
SUPERINTENDENT / ELEMENTARY PRINCIPAL
1997 - 1999
Hot Springs Public Schools, Hot Springs, MT
ELEMENTARY PRINCIPAL / SCHOOL COUNSELOR
1995 - 1997
Shields Valley Schools, Wilsall, MT
6TH GRADE TEACHER
1994 - 1995
Lame Deer Public Schools, Lame Deer, MT
6TH GRADE TEACHER
UNIVERSITY TEACHING EXPERIENCE
University of St. Mary’s, Twin Cities, MN
- 5th Year Administrator’s Program (action research of continuous improvement model for school improvement)
- 5th Year Administrator’s Program (ethical leadership)
- Master’s in Teaching (data to improve instruction)
AWARDS & RECOGNITION
Rotary Club International Paul Harris Fellow (2010)
Association of School Business Officials – International Certificate of Excellence in Financial Reporting (2010)
Blandin Community Leadership Program (2009)
Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development Outstanding Young Educator Award – Nominated (2008)
United States Congressional Record for Leadership – Recognized (2006)
State School Finance Award – Marshall Public Schools Awarded (5 Years)
School of Excellence – Marshall Primary Schools Awarded (2011)
American Association of School Administrators – Inducted to Scholar Senate (2007)
Minnesota Council for Quality / Performance Excellence Network – Board Member
Marshall Regional Amateur Sports Commissions – Former Board Member
MN Association of School Administrations – Former Region 3 President (18 County Area)
American Association of School Administrators
MN Association of School Education Administrators
Marshall Chamber of Commerce – Member
Lyon County 4-H – Parent Volunteer
Association for Supervision & Curriculum Development
American Society for Quality